If you’re not happy with your current web host, you can change! Here’s how…
Domain Name System (DNS) is a database system that translates a domain name (www.amazon.com for example) into an IP address (184.108.40.206).
So, when you are switching web hosts, you are switching your domain name to a new IP Address.
- Find a new host and register with them.
- On your old host, set your TTL (Time To Live) to something low, like 5 minutes.
- Gather your website content and upload it to your new site.
- At this point, your website will essentially be in two places at once.
- Now is the time to switch your DNS settings on the old host to point to the new IP Address.
- Check that your audience is finding and visiting your new address.
At this point you may want to transfer your domain name to the new host (if they offer that ability). Some people like having their domain and hosting under the same roof to simplify things.
If you are looking for a professional internet marketing agency in Houston, TX, don’t hesitate to call 281-764-9070 or schedule a free site review and consultation with one of our online marketing specialists.